Monday 18 August 2008

Mimi Makes A Baby Blanket

Well, nearly! I have been crocheting a baby blanket for a friend at work who is going to be having her baby in October. I decided on a pattern of granny squares, using lemon wool and cream wool, as she does not know what sex her baby will be yet. Each square has three rounds of crochet, either going cream-yellow-cream or yellow-cream-yellow. I have made 36 squares which are going to be sewn together, and then I am going to crochet a border around the whole thing.

I have used Peter Pan baby wool, because it is washable and ultra soft, and a 3.0 crochet hook. Each square has come up at about 6cm long. When I have finished the border I will post a picture here.

If you fancy trying your hand at crochet, granny squares are a great way to start. You can use double knitting or chunky wool and a larger hook, and the squares will grow really fast. My best tip is that if you leave a really long tail when you start each square, you can use it when you sew the squares together.

Oh, and whenever you are going to follow a crochet pattern, check if it is American or British. I found out the hard way that we use the same names for different stitches, which means things can turn out very differently from how you expect!

Here is a link to the pattern that I use; it is an American pattern, and although it looks complicated at first, it is really easy to do as there is a lot of repetition, and once you have made one or two squares, you will just be glancing at the pattern now and then for reference, and then you will just be able to sit and make them without the pattern at all!

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/granny_squares/f101001_basicgranny.shtml

No comments: